City Code Enforcement Officer

City Code Enforcement Officer

Norway Police Department handles code enforcement within City limits. Norway's City Manager address's zoning, property development and land use activities occuring in the City.  In order to complete certain projects in the City of Norway, you must have a zoning permit.  These permits can be obtained at City Hall, or by clicking on the 'Zoning Compliance Permit Application' link below (the top of the document actually reads 'Norway Permit Application').  

Please call City Hall at 906-563-9961 to make inquiries regarding permits.

This table shows whether you need a permit from the City of Norway and/or from Dickinson County to carry out the project you are planning.
  I want to build a... Do I need a Permit from the City?  
(Cost is $20.00)
Do I need a permit from 
the County?  
  new home. Yes. Yes.
  new addition. Yes. Yes.
  car port. Yes. Yes.
  garage. Yes. Yes.
  pool above / in ground. Yes. Depends on depth.
  fence. Yes. No.
  deck or porch. Yes. Yes.
  shed. Yes. Depends on size.

Here's how to proceed with your planning.  

Step 1:
Pick up or download and print the Zoning Compliance Permit Application, fill it out, and drop it off at City Hall eight to ten (8 - 10) days before you need action by the zoning administrator.

Step 2: 
Acquire any needed building permits from the Dickinson County Construction Code Commission in Iron Mountain.  Call their office at 906-774-4885.  

Step 3: 
If you are told that your application materials entail a variance, pick up or download and print the Norway Area Zoning Board of Appeals Application (or 'Variance Form').  Return the completed version to Norway City Hall.  

Please note:  Both the City and Township of Norway abide by  the Norway Area Zoning Ordinance.  To view Zoning Compliance Permit click HERE

Refer to the City's Official Zoning Map to find the zoning area to which your proposed construction site is assigned.  You can also visit City Hall to view a large print version of our map.
View our area's GIS Land and Property Tax Information.  *Keep in mind that property tax and assessment inquiries go Jim Waisanen (our City's Assessor).

See Administrative Fees to find all costs associated with the permits you need for your project.